Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Adventure #3: Jeans :(

So I've decided to write yesterday's stuff today because I was too pooped to write stuff yesterday.  I'll try to write daily to keep you updated, but if I happen to pass out that day, I might just combine entries.  I assure you, the entries will still remain epic (I hope XD).  Secondly, I realize I do not have my SD card adapter so I can't upload pics I have on my phone to the computer.  For now, this entry will remain picture-less.  Sad face, I know.  Do not fret!  I'm planning to purchase a camera this weekend, so we shall not remain picture-less for long!  And once I find myself a SD card adapter, I will update this blog with maaaarvelous photos :)


6/19/12


Jeans.  Jeans are a staple of my wardrobe.  I wear them everywhere, and as the UCDC program coordinator for UC Davis has said, it's a California thing.  They're comfortable, casual, and a very versatile item in one's wardrobe.  However, jeans are not that smartest thing to wear in Washington DC.  At least, not when you've just arrived in DC and haven't acclimated to the heat yet.  Deceived by the gorgeous weather from our first two days in DC, Upshire Girl and I donned jeans for our UCD group picture in front of the White House.  After all, we figure we should be dressed somewhat "professionally," right?  Shorts aren't quite professional and they're too... Californian.  We were trying to blend more, I suppose.  


BAD IDEA.  The first couple steps were fine.  A little warm, but otherwise not too bad.  One block later, I was sweating like a pig.  I was sweating to so much, even my legs were sweating.  My beloved jeans were now an annoyance as they clung uncomfortable to my legs.  I don't even recall sweating this much when I work out!  There was just SO MUCH SWEAT.  In fact, Yami (one of our other housemates) commented that she could see the giant sweat stain on the back of my t-shirt.  Attractive.  Bet you're happy I didn't have a camera for that, aren't you?


After taking dozens of shots in front of the White House, our house + our new friend Christina took the Metro towards my new favorite place, The Library of Congress.  This time, we joined one of the public tours so we could have a more comprehensive visit of this national treasure.  Of course, my history nerd self skipped along giddily as we stopped by the Room of Families (or whatever the name was lol) where we saw artists' depictions of the influences of family on learning and society.  Then we ventured into the Great Hall where I was amazed to find that all the carvings and sculptures were carefully chosen to tell a specific story.  Honestly, when I see all these white statues and sculptures, I usually think "Oh cool.  Greek thing." and carry on.  But going through the tour actually teaches you a lot of the thought put behind building The Library, and it really is remarkable the amount of detail behind every single piece.  For example, the young man and the old man that are carved into the gorgeous white marble above the archway etched in gold leaf with "The Library of Congress" represent the notion that one never stops learning.  The pursuance of knowledge should be a continuous journey throughout your life, not just when you're enrolled in school.  Intricate details like that fill every corner of The Library of Congress, and you can't help but stand there and stare in awe at the magnificence of the building.  


The Great Hall isn't even the best part.  My favorite part--the crown jewel of The Library, is without a doubt the Main Reading Room.  I only got to view the room from above in the balcony behind a sheet of glass, but even then, it was amazing.  No words can truly describe how beautiful that room is.  I had a total nerd-gasm.  The sign clearly said no photographs but the beauty of everything in that room compelled me to break the rules.  I got yelled at twice, but it was worth it LOL.  Towering above the room is a stained glass window, and watching over the scholars below are statues representing each of the subjects, such as history, science, religion, and music.  Each subject had an important figure to represent it like Sir Isaac Newton for science, Beethoven for music, and Moses (yes, Moses!) for religion.  There was so much detail and meaning put into everything in that room.  It was just... wow.  That's all I can really say.


After the tour, we explored the Early American Encounters exhibit.  I loved how I could relate topics I've learned from my previous history classes to various sections in the exhibit.  We couldn't stay too long though since they closed at 6PM.  I can assure you, I will be returning though so I can scour the gift shop for some souvenirs.  Speaking of which, if you guys want a postcard, shoot me an email and I'll try my best to send you one :)


To end our day of exploration of the great DC outdoors, we went to the Safeway on 17th Ave. NW.  As a Californian (I feel like I've said this a lot since I've gotten here...), I was shocked at how small the Safeway was.  Compared to the Davis Safeways (or any of the California Safeways, really.  Even Vons!), the aisles in this Safeway are half the size.  No joke.  The lack of variety in fresh produce appalled me.  There were no bundles of juicy green lettuce or bright, fragrant herbs.  Well, Upshire Girl told me there was a lot of mint that no one wanted to buy but that's about it.  I guess mojitos aren't a big thing in DC...?


Note to future UCDC students: do not go to Safeway on an empty stomach.  This holds true for everyone but it's especially troublesome for UCDC students.  0.4 miles isn't a long distance to walk at all, but once you factor in the heat and the fact that you're walking with 3 cartons of milk, a bag of frozen chicken, and various other items, you'll thank me for warning you.


So after trekking home with giant bags of groceries, we managed to make a spaghetti + salad dinner despite the sore arms, scarfed it down, and headed downstairs to the ice cream social.  Needless to say, I was incredibly awkward as usual.  I tried, I really did.  It started off well, actually.  As I held my bowl of vanilla ice cream drenched in caramel syrup (sugar overload, for sure), I chatted with a couple girls from UC Irvine.  One was impressively a triple major in various subjects that I cannot remember (except Chinese!)--definitely reminded me of Trieu, except she wasn't as awesome ;)  We chatted a bit, then we awkwardly stared at our ice cream until their friends came over to rescue them.  Upshire Girl and I wandered the room a bit then went back upstairs with our ice cream.  Oh well.


Despite the minor setbacks like the ridiculous heat and the sore muscles, Tuesday definitely was a great last-free-day-before-work day.  Super nervous about starting the internship tomorrow, but looking forward to what adventures await me.


-Agent 024

1 comment: